The Mushfens encompasses the land south of the Yondabakari River, from the south-westernmost tip of Varisia all the way to the aptly named Fenwall Mountains in the east. The Mushfens did not exist as a swamp until the earth-shattering cataclysm brought on by Earthfall over 10,000 years ago. Before this time, it was a land-locked part of the ancient Thassilonian realm of Eurythnia. The earthquakes and tidal waves caused by the impacts of the Starstone caused the majority of that kingdom to sink below the waters of the Varisian Gulf. Over the course of millennia, the drastic lowering of the countryside, combined with its new proximity to the sea turned the land into the swamp it is today.
Flora & Fauna
Black dragons and the Mushfens
Being the largest swamp in all of Avistan, the marsh-dwelling black dragons should be abundant in the Mushfens; strangely, the opposite is the case. These wyrms have avoided this part of Varisia for thousands of years, remembering a time when the runelords of Thassilon used powerful magics to enslave their ancestors, forcing them toil as guardians, or even worse, common laborers. When that ancient empire collapsed after Earthfall, the surviving black dragons fled, vowing never to return. The fact that the Mushfens didn't exist as a swamp in those ancient days does not change their minds; in fact, reminding them of this fact will elicit a distinctly negative response from any black dragon.
Places of Interest
- Also known as the Greenrust Reef, this large rock outcropping is a common nautical reference point along the southern coast of the Mushfens.
- The Mushfens conceal one of the most unique Thassilonian ruins in all of Varisia, the Sunken Queen. This pyramid is a remnant of ancient Eurythnia and was built by the runelord Sorshen to house the Everdawn Pool. Like much of the realm of Eurythnia, with the fall of Thassilon, the Sunken Queen slipped into the Mushfens and now rests at a canted angle among the mire.
- James L. Sutter. (2007). Varisia. The Hook Mountain Massacre, p. 62. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-038-4
- Mike McArtor. (2009). Dragons Revisited, p. 8. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-165-7
- Tito Leati. (2008). Crown of Fangs. Crown of Fangs, p. 9. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-109-1
- James L. Sutter. (2007). Varisia. The Hook Mountain Massacre, p. 66. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-038-4
- Jason Bulmahn, James Jacobs, Richard Pett, & F. Wesley Schneider. (2007). Bestiary. The Skinsaw Murders, p. 85. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-037-7
- Tito Leati. (2008). Crown of Fangs. Crown of Fangs, p. 48. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-109-1
- James L. Sutter. (2007). Varisia. The Hook Mountain Massacre, p. 65. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-038-4
- Tito Leati, & F. Wesley Schneider. (2008). Bestiary. Crown of Fangs, p. 85. Paizo Publishing, LLC. ISBN 978-1-60125-109-1